Experience the 2023 Sugar Sand Festival in Clearwater, Fl
The 2023 Sugar Sand Festival in Clearwater, Fl, ended on April 23rd and was a terrific success. This year’s festival was in full swing with many outdoor festival activities such as:
- Street performers
- bounce houses
- inflated slide
- Ferris wheel
- food vendors
- Music performers
- Nightly concerts
- Clearwater Beach
- Pier 60, with dozens of artisans
And, of course, the famous sugar sand sculpture contest is the premier event inside the main tent.
Why is it called the Sugar Sand Festival?
Because the sculptors use over 1000 lbs of the famous Clearwater Sugar Sand and water by first compacting the sand and then wetting it to the perfect consistency for sculpting.
This years Theme:
This year’s sand sculpture theme of the ’50s, ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, and ’90s was a huge hit, with each sugar sand sculptor creating their interpretation of these decades’ most memorable characters, TV shows, music, movies, and more.
This was the third sugar sand sculpture festival I have visited since moving to Florida in 2018, and it was the most fun. Strolling through the sugar sand sculpture tent was like walking down memory lane.
Tips for the next Sugar Sand Festival in Clearwater, Fl
2023’s Sugar Sand festival is over, but if you’re planning a vacation next spring, here is some good information to tuck away.
- Viewing the sugar sand sculptures costs $14 per person 3 yrs and older.
- The sculptures are in a large 21,000 sq ft tent, so they are protected from the weather and can be viewed between 10 am and 9 pm Mon – Thursday and open until 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays
- The sculptures are mostly completed on opening day, but you can see sculptors working on a few finishing touches during the festival, so you can see how they work.
- The weekdays towards the end of the festival are the best time to go because the crowds are down a bit.
- Bring your beach gear and make a day of it by renting a covered chair, enjoying the day at the beach, and taking in all the fun food and activities, including Clearwater’s world-famous sugar sand beaches.
- Traffic and parking will be an issue. You’ll find parking in several surface lots for varying prices and two public parking garages near the Side Hotel and Hyatt Regency Coronado Hotel.
You can find all the essential information at sugarsandfestival.com
If you missed this year’s event, no worries; I captured most of this year’s work for you to admire and encourage you to attend next year’s Sugar Sand Festival event in Clearwater.